The History of Assumption College
Assumption College is a private, Roman Catholic, liberal arts college in Worcester, Massachusetts. Founded in 1904 by the Augustinians of the Assumption, a Catholic order under the Augustinian Rule dedicated to service through teaching and the hastening of the Kingdom of God, as reflected in their motto "Thy Kingdom Come." The original campus was in the Greendale section of Worcester, on a tract of hillside land.
The college confers Bachelor of Arts degrees in its undergraduate program, Master of Arts and Masters of Business Administration degrees in its graduate program, and associate's degrees through its Continuing Education program. Though majors in the sciences are offered, only Bachelor of Arts degrees are conferred.
Life in Assumption College
Assumption College teams participate as a member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association's Division II. The Greyhounds are a member of the Northeast-10 Conference. Men's sports include baseball, basketball, cross country, football, golf, ice hockey, lacrosse, soccer, tennis and track & field; women's sports include basketball, cross country, field hockey, lacrosse, rowing, soccer, softball, swimming & diving, tennis, track & field and volleyball.
Assumption College's ranking in the 2020 edition of Best Colleges is Regional Universities North, #32.
A completed Common Application. A personal statement about your college education and why attending Assumption College will be of value to you (part of the Common Application) Official college transcripts with at least 12 credits of coursework completed (24 is preferable) and a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or better.
- Major General Robert Catalanotti - (US Army), former commander of the largest military base in Iraq, and current Senior Military Advisor, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- Chris Colabello - professional baseball player for the Toronto Blue Jays
- Frank C. Guinta - Mayor of Manchester, NH 2006-2010. Member of Congress representing the 1st Congressional District of NH for 2 terms 2011-2013 and 2015-2018
- Rev. Ernest Fortin - scholar, political philosopher and theologian; professor of theology and philosophy, Assumption College, professor of theology and political theory
- Hon. Jay Garcia-Gregory - Federal Judge, U.S. District Court of Puerto Rico
- Mike Gravel - U.S. Senator from Alaska, 1969–81 and 2008 presidential candidate
- Andy Hallett - singer and actor best known for playing the part of "Lorne" on the television series Angel
- Jake Jones - professional basketball player for the Philadelphia 76ers
- Brian Kelly - head football coach at the University of Notre Dame
- Joe O'Brien - former Assumption College basketball coach and President and CEO of the Basketball Hall of Fame
- Mary Anastasia O'Grady - member of The Wall Street Journal's editorial board
- Michael Ritchie - Artistic director of the Center Theatre Group in Los Angeles, California
- Rev. Richard Ryscavage, S.J. - Director of Center for Faith and Public Life and Professor of Sociology and International Studies at Fairfield University, nationally known expert on immigration and refugees
- Scott Simonson - professional football player for the New York Giants.
- Brigadier General Norman R. Ham, Jr. - retired commander of Eglin Air Force Base in Florida, and multi-tour veteran of the War in Afghanistan.
- Lieutenant General Jeffrey W. Talley - retired, 32nd Chief of Army Reserve (CAR) and 7th Commanding General, United States Army Reserve Command
- Deonte Harris - professional football player for the New Orleans Saints
Assumption College admissions is selective with an acceptance rate of 79%.