Meet Jun Wei. A current student at Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD), who is in his Freshmore year of studies. Prior to entering SUTD, he graduated from Ngee Ann Polytechnic. And he is a local student from Singapore.
1. What school do you study in?
Singapore University of Technology & Design (SUTD)
2. Do you/others have a nickname for the school?
3. Why did you choose this school?
I find that the pedagogy here is different and unique and I prefer a new approach to engineering.
4. What is a scene that you often see in the school?
People working on their own projects.
5. What is one thing that you wish you knew before enrollment?
The course workload.
6. Your school is great, but if you could change one thing, what would it be?
Location. Its currently too secluded.
7. And if theres one thing youd never change?
Its unique identity.
8. The unofficial uniform of your school is?
School T shirts that have “Class of 2018” on them, or whatever year.
9. When you meet a new friend for the first time and you have to describe your school with one word, what would it be?
10. What is one place in the school that you are proud of?
11. If you could swap programs for a day, what would it be?
Engineering Product Development.
12. What is a common myth of your school?
That its a secondary choice for people who cannot get into National University of Singapore, Nanyang Technological University etc. But there are a lot of people who actually chose Singapore University of Technology and Design for what it is, as their first choice.
13. If you ever had to stay in school past 9pm, what would it be because?
14. What is the strangest thing youve ever seen in the school?
Nothing comes to mind
15. What is your one guilty pleasure you indulge in in school?
Nothing to indulge in here.
16. If you were given $5 million dollars to revamp the school, what would you do with it?
Put more electrical plugs, quite prevalent in school but study areas lack plugs. Especially common study benches.
17. In between classes, where can we find you?
18. What is the best place to be as one with your laptop and lecture recordings?
19. In the occasion that the school has to downsize till only ONE food place remains, what will it be?
Economical Rice Stall.
20. For free electricity in the school, where would you go to?
I would go back to my hostel as its such a short distance away.
21. What program are you in?
Freshmore but I plan to specialize in Engineering Product Development.
22. Is this related to your dream job?
Kind of, as I want to go into the robotics field in future.
23. Do you know the actual value of your degree?
$12K per year.
24. Do you think a degree in your course is cost efficient in terms of the quality of education you are receiving versus what you are paying?
Yes, as compared to other universities.
25. In your opinion, how much should a degree in your program cost?
As low as possible, but Im not sure what the market rate is like so I cant advise for sure.
26. What is the most unforgettable module you have taken?
Introduction to Design.
27. If you could be exempted from any module in your program, what would it be?
Biology & Chemistry.
28.What advice would you give to future students about module selection and planning?
Hmm, choose what you like.
29. If you had to choose one, would you advise a Singapore Junior College (JC) or Polytechnic (poly) student to join your program?
Depends on individuals interest, of course JC students will be better at coping.
30. In what scenarios will any student be exempted from any modules?
No exemptions that I know of.
31. Theory vs. Practical. In what ratio would you say your program content is?
32. On a scale of 1 – 10, how employable do you think students from your program are?
33. Name 3 job fields people from your program go into.
Consulting, Research, Management.
34. Favorite Professor?
Prof. Ali who teaches math.
35. What is one thing that most people dont know about your program?
Everybody takes the same modules in Freshmore, no matter which pillar you want to go into.
36. Ideal tutorial class size versus reality?
37. Given a chance to go on exchange, which country would you choose?
United States, due to personal interest and because its good for me to be exposed to the robotics industry there.
38. Common exam formats include:
Mixture of Open-ended and Multiple Choice Questions.
39. Outside of the curriculum, do you have any other commitments in school?
40. Would you say that it is difficult to manage both studies and other school activities?
41. In your opinion, are there enough clubs & societies in school for students to choose from?
There are quite a lot currently but still not enough in my opinion.
42. How do you think a Extra-Curriculum Activity add value to a student's overall experience?
I'm not sure.
43. The most memorable school event that you have attended would be:
44. If you had to pay to NOT attend a particular event in school, what will it be?
None so far.
45. Is the school doing enough to engage students?
46. Do you stay on-campus?
Yes, all Freshmores have to stay on-campus for their first year of studies.
47. Name 5 adjectives about your hall/hostel.
Big, Conducive, Quiet, New, Comfortable.
48. Would you sacrifice an “A” for one of your core modules to secure a spot at hall/hostel?
Yes, for me its really because of the distance. I stay quite far away.
49. How would you describe hall life in a phrase?
50. Are the amenities in the halls comprehensive?
Yes, I have most things I need here.
51. If you can only bring one electrical appliance to hall, what would it be?
52. Worst room mate ever? If not best?
Nice guy, we can talk quite well.