Meet Arthur from Indonesia. A current student at Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD), who is in his Freshmore year of studies. Prior to entering SUTD, he studied in Indonesia and is an international student.
1. What school do you study in?
Singapore University of Technology & Design (SUTD)
2. Do you/others have a nickname for the school?
Stay Up Till Dawn
3. Why did you choose this school?
I’m an international student and I was rejected by National University of Singapore and Nanyang Technological University. Yet I want to study in Singapore so I took what I was offered.
4. What is a scene that you often see in the school?
Nothing that comes to my mind.
5. What is one thing that you wish you knew before enrollment?
I wish that I knew more about the curriculum. I was expecting more.
6. Your school is great, but if you could change one thing, what would it be?
7. And if there’s one thing you’d never change?
8. The unofficial uniform of your school is?
Dressing is quite diverse here.
9. When you meet a new friend for the first time and you have to describe your school with one word, what would it be?
Rising Giant. Oops, that's two words.
10. What is one place in the school that you are proud of?
11. If you could swap programs for a day, what would it be?
Maybe Information Systems Technology & Design.
12. What is a common myth of your school?
That we don’t sleep well.
13. If you ever had to stay in school past 9pm, what would it be because?
Projects and classes.
14. What is the strangest thing you’ve ever seen in the school?
Nothing so far.
15. What is your one guilty pleasure you indulge in in school?
16. If you were given $5 million dollars to revamp the school, what would you do with it?
Increase the capacity of the school, i.e. build more academic buildings to accommodate more students each cohort.
17. In between classes, where can we find you?
Classrooms and this is the case for most Freshmores students.
18. What is the best place to be as one with your laptop and lecture recordings?
19. In the occasion that the school has to downsize till only ONE food place remains, what will it be?
Korean stall @ canteen.
20. For free electricity in the school, where would you go to?
21. What program are you in?
22. Is this related to your dream job?
Yes. I want to be a part of the cyber security industry in future and Information Systems Technology and Design is quite relevant.
23. Do you know the actual value of your degree?
$24K per term without tuition grant as I’m an international student.
24. Do you think a degree in your course is cost efficient in terms of the quality of education you are receiving versus what you are paying?
In some way yes, but not the first year where you need to take a lot of general modules.
25. In your opinion, how much should a degree in your program cost?
$15-18K per term without tuition grant.
26. What is the most unforgettable module you have taken?
Introduction to Design.
27. If you could be exempted from any module in your program, what would it be?
28.What advice would you give to future students about module selection and planning?
Currently we cannot select modules in Freshmore are all are compulsory.
29. If you had to choose one, would you advise a Singapore Junior College (JC) or Polytechnic (poly) student to join your program?
I’m not sure how the Junior College or Polytechnic curriculum works.
30. In what scenarios will any student be exempted from any modules?
I’m not sure about this, I wasn’t offered any exemptions.
31. Theory vs. Practical. In what ratio would you say your program content is?
35% : 65%
32. On a scale of 1 – 10, how employable do you think students from your program are?
33. Name 3 job fields people from your program go into.
Cyber Security, Machine Learning, Data Analytics, Artificial Intelligence.
34. Favorite Professor?
35. What is one thing that most people don’t know about your program?
All students had to take physics and math for the first year. It does not value in my opinion.
36. Ideal tutorial class size versus reality?
Current: 45 - 48
37. Given a chance to go on exchange, which country would you choose?
United States, my brother suggested this to me when I entered Singapore University of Technology & Design.
38. Common exam formats include:
For Freshmore students, it really depends on the modules and formats can be quite diverse. But it’s usually 5-7 questions.
39. Outside of the curriculum, do you have any other commitments in school?
Frisbee & Band.
40. Would you say that it is difficult to manage both studies and other school activities?
41. In your opinion, are there enough clubs & societies in school for students to choose from?
I don’t think so.
42. How do you think a Extra-Curriculum Activity add value to a student's overall experience?
It gives students leisure time to do what they want.
43. The most memorable school event that you have attended would be:
44. If you had to pay to NOT attend a particular event in school, what will it be?
45. Is the school doing enough to engage students?
I don’t think it’s enough, definitely can be improved.
46. Do you stay on-campus?
Yes, it’s compulsory during Freshmore year.
47. Name 5 adjectives about your hall/hostel.
Convenient, strict, hard to get, close, Can be improved.
48. Would you sacrifice an “A” for one of your core modules to secure a spot at hall/hostel?
For me, yes.
49. How would you describe hall life in a phrase?
Very chill, and there are organized events that are quite fun.
50. Are the amenities in the halls comprehensive?
We need to pay for most of these facilities so it’s comprehensive but not really economical because we pay for hostel fees already.
51. If you can only bring one electrical appliance to hall, what would it be?
Hmm, I don't know, maybe portable kitchen tools?
52. Worst room mate ever? If not best?
My room mate is really quiet and we don’t talk much. So I would say it's quite alright.