Meet Han . A current student at Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts (NAFA), who is in her 2nd year of Diploma in Illustration Design with Animation. Prior to entering NAFA, she graduated from Foon Yew High School Kulai. And she is a full-time international student from Malaysia.
1. What school do you study in?
Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts (NAFA)
2. Do you/others have a nickname for the school?
3. Why did you choose this school?
I wanted to go to LaSalle but I realize that NAFA has a longer history and I heard it from my grandfather who was quite sure of this school.
4. What is a scene that you often see in the school?
There are always flea markets around school and the school always give out cheer packs.
5. What is one thing that you wish you knew before enrollment?
That although you majoring in animation it doesnt mean that you only learn illustration. You also have to learn web design, app design, art history etc.
6. Your school is great, but if you could change one thing, what would it be?
Content of class.
7. And if theres one thing youd never change?
Theres nothing that I dont particular like/dislike here.
8. The unofficial uniform of your school is?
Quite different from business schools, more casual and artsy.
9. When you meet a new friend for the first time and you have to describe your school with one word, what would it be?
10. What is one place in the school that you are proud of?
Student Lounge (Wing B)
11. If you could swap programs for a day, what would it be?
From animation to Jewelry Design.
12. What is a common myth of your school?
That the school will try to help maintain your mental health.
13. If you ever had to stay in school past 9pm, what would it be because?
14. What is the strangest thing youve ever seen in the school?
Half naked people.
15. What is your one guilty pleasure you indulge in in school?
16. If you were given $5 million dollars to revamp the school, what would you do with it?
Paint the buildings, its all white now, not befitting of an art school. Improve exterior.
17. In between classes, where can we find you?
18. What is the best place to be as one with your laptop and lecture recordings?
19. In the occasion that the school has to downsize till only ONE food place remains, what will it be?
All food is outside school. MacDonald's probably.
20. For free electricity in the school, where would you go to?
21. What program are you in?
22. Is this related to your dream job?
Yes, I want to be an animator in future.
23. Do you know the actual value of your degree?
24. Do you think a degree in your course is cost efficient in terms of the quality of education you are receiving versus what you are paying?
Yes, its just learning.
25. In your opinion, how much should a degree in your program cost?
Maybe $15K for 3 years.
26. What is the most unforgettable module you have taken?
27. If you could be exempted from any module in your program, what would it be?
Issue with Society. Although its relevant to life, its not relevant to us.
28.What advice would you give to future students about module selection and planning?
You must choose what you like the most. And manage your time well, it really varies across individuals.
29. If you had to choose one, would you advise a Singapore Junior College (JC) or Polytechnic (poly) student to join your program?
Polytechnic students. They would already have been exposed to certain modules and hence know the basics. And they would also be clearer on what they want to do.
30. In what scenarios will any student be exempted from any modules?
31. Theory vs. Practical. In what ratio would you say your program content is?
32. On a scale of 1 – 10, how employable do you think students from your program are?
33. Name 3 job fields people from your program go into.
34. Favorite Professor?
Lye Sau Kwan – Ms Lye teaches crafting, something like an illustration class.
35. What is one thing that most people dont know about your program?
At first, we learn animation but we branch out to different kind of animations using different materials. So theres clay/paper/3D.
36. Ideal tutorial class size versus reality?
37. Given a chance to go on exchange, which country would you choose?
Japan, I like the culture there and their animation is very unique.
38. Common exam formats include:
39. Outside of the curriculum, do you have any other commitments in school?
40. Would you say that it is difficult to manage both studies and other school activities?
41. In your opinion, are there enough clubs & societies in school for students to choose from?
No, there are only a few available.
42. How do you think a Extra-Curriculum Activity add value to a student's overall experience?
Maybe learn something new.
43. The most memorable school event that you have attended would be:
Fun Day 2017 where we went to water parks as a school.
44. If you had to pay to NOT attend a particular event in school, what will it be?
Fun Day 2018 – we went to the stadium.
45. Is the school doing enough to engage students?
46. How has your experience been in NAFA?
Its stressful but fun. At first its okay but it gets more jam packed after awhile. Time management is very important.