Meet Ronald. A current student at Nanyang Technological University (NTU), who is in his 4th year of Bachelor's studies in Bioengineering. Prior to entering NTU, he graduated from Tampines Junior College. And he is a local student from Singapore.
1. What school do you study in?
Nanyang Technological University
2. Do you/others have a nickname for the school?
3. Why did you choose this school?
My ‘A levels results were not very good so I didnt really have a choice.
4. What is a scene that you often see in the school?
People studying, and people dancing especially after 10pm.
5. What is one thing that you wish you knew before enrollment?
Future prospects for the program I am enrolled in.
6. Your school is great, but if you could change one thing, what would it be?
That we can wear shorts to lab, even though I know its a safety requirement.
7. And if theres one thing youd never change?
Research Techno Plaza, the place is really conducive for studies.
8. The unofficial uniform of your school is?
None that Ive observed.
9. When you meet a new friend for the first time and you have to describe your school with one word, what would it be?
10. What is one place in the school that you are proud of?
11. If you could swap programs for a day, what would it be?
12. What is a common myth of your school?
That we have a lot of China international students.
13. If you ever had to stay in school past 9pm, what would it be because?
14. What is the strangest thing youve ever seen in the school?
Wild boar roaming around Hall 16.
15. What is your one guilty pleasure you indulge in in school?
16. If you were given $5 million dollars to revamp the school, what would you do with it?
Subsidize the canteen vendors so we get cheaper food.
17. In between classes, where can we find you?
Research Techno Plaza.
18. What is the best place to be as one with your laptop and lecture recordings?
Research Techno Plaza.
19. In the occasion that the school has to downsize till only ONE food place remains, what will it be?
20. For free electricity in the school, where would you go to?
Research Techno Plaza.
21. What program are you in?
22. Is this related to your dream job?
Yes, I want to go into manufacturing in bio-related companies.
23. Do you know the actual value of your degree?
~$24K for 4 years.
24. Do you think a degree in your course is cost efficient in terms of the quality of education you are receiving versus what you are paying?
No, theres not much teaching involved, I had to Youtube a lot of knowledge.
25. In your opinion, how much should a degree in your program cost?
$8K for 4 years.
26. What is the most unforgettable module you have taken?
Medical Device Design (BG4102)
27. If you could be exempted from any module in your program, what would it be?
BG2112 Cardiovascular Engineering
28.What advice would you give to future students about module selection and planning?
Plan lectures and tutorials on different days so you can save the trip to school on lecture days as its recorded and you can watch it at home.
29. If you had to choose one, would you advise a Singapore Junior College (JC) or Polytechnic (poly) student to join your program?
Polytechnic students; theyve had a lot of prior hands-on experience of things that are being taught.
30. In what scenarios will any student be exempted from any modules?
If the student gets an ‘A for a particular subject or if a polytechnic student has taken a particular module before.
31. Theory vs. Practical. In what ratio would you say your program content is?
32. On a scale of 1 – 10, how employable do you think students from your program are?
33. Name 3 job fields people from your program go into.
Manufacturing, research, regulatory
34. Favorite Professor?
35. What is one thing that most people dont know about your program?
That our program has very good job prospects.
36. Ideal tutorial class size versus reality?
Reality: <5 (sometimes not enough people attend the tutorials)
37. Given a chance to go on exchange, which country would you choose?
Germany, good county to start traveling around Europe.
38. Common exam formats include:
Short answer questions and essays.
39. Outside of the curriculum, do you have any other commitments in school?
40. Would you say that it is difficult to manage both studies and other school activities?
41. In your opinion, are there enough clubs & societies in school for students to choose from?
42. How do you think a Extra-Curriculum Activity add value to a student's overall experience?
Students learn how to work with people around them.
43. The most memorable school event that you have attended would be:
44. If you had to pay to NOT attend a particular event in school, what will it be?
45. Is the school doing enough to engage students?
No, students are not really involved in school.
46. Do you stay on-campus? If yes, see below:
47. Which part of campus do you stay at?
48. Name 5 adjectives about your hall/hostel.
Far, Clean, Quiet, Conducive, Convenient.
49. Would you sacrifice an “A” for one of your core modules to secure a spot at hall/hostel?
Yes, I stay very far away and its about 1.5 hours from my home to school.
50. How would you describe hall life in a phrase?
51. Are the amenities in the halls comprehensive?
52. If you can only bring one electrical appliance to hall, what would it be?
53. Worst room mate ever? If not best?
Yes, I once had a room mate who was very messy, troublesome and dirty as well.